Restoration at St Peter's Anglican Church, Cremorne

XX Mon. YYYY

Today I've just re-installed the Gabriel window into St Peter's historic Church at Cremorne after carrying out some extensive restoration over the last few weeks. I did manage to see in the New Year in style but also spent many hours laboring over some quite challenging paintwork to achieve the best result I could in matching the old painted glass.

Extensive damage to the Gabriel windowExtensive damage to the Gabriel window

With green paper block-outs to cut the glareWith green paper block-outs to cut the glare

Piecing together fragmentsPiecing together fragments

There was no signature or date of manufacture to be found on the window but a best estimate is around 90 - 100 years. It was common of windows from this era to be very heavily painted and while they look quite good, if somewhat sombre, insitu it becomes terribly difficult to read and then re-create such dark paintwork in the studio.

Fired trace on piece of draperyFired trace on piece of drapery

Same piece of glass with stipple matt appliedSame piece of glass with stipple matt applied

The restored windowThe restored window

The restored windowThe restored window

Detail of wingtipDetail of wingtip

Close up of restored areaClose up of restored area

The Latest Happenings in my World

This blog is where you will find my latest news. It can range from posting images of progress of the current commission to art crit to political or social commentary, both national and international. Anything, basically, that's commanding my attention and I feel is worth sharing with you, my reader. Enjoy. My previous blog can be found at jeffreyhamilton.blogspot.com

Restoration at St Peter's Anglican Church, Cremorne

19 Jan2012

Today I've just re-installed the Gabriel window into St Peter's historic Church at Cremorne after carrying out some extensive restoration over the last few weeks. I did manage to see in the New Year in style but also spent many hours laboring over some quite challenging paintwork to achieve the best result I could in matching the old painted glass.

Extensive damage to the Gabriel windowExtensive damage to the Gabriel window

With green paper block-outs to cut the glareWith green paper block-outs to cut the glare

Piecing together fragmentsPiecing together fragments

There was no signature or date of manufacture to be found on the window but a best estimate is around 90 - 100 years. It was common of windows from this era to be very heavily painted and while they look quite good, if somewhat sombre, insitu it becomes terribly difficult to read and then re-create such dark paintwork in the studio.

Fired trace on piece of draperyFired trace on piece of drapery

Same piece of glass with stipple matt appliedSame piece of glass with stipple matt applied

The restored windowThe restored window

The restored windowThe restored window

Detail of wingtipDetail of wingtip

Close up of restored areaClose up of restored area

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 19th, 2012 at 10:59 pm restoration, restorations, stained glass windows, painted glass

blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe

Subscribe by RSS

The Latest Happenings in my World

This blog is where you will find my latest news. It can range from posting images of progress of the current commission to art crit to political or social commentary, both national and international. Anything, basically, that's commanding my attention and I feel is worth sharing with you, my reader. Enjoy. My previous blog can be found at jeffreyhamilton.blogspot.com